Saturday, 7 January 2017

A last finish in under the wire

As well as my Lily Lapin I managed to finish a second project from my Quarter 4 finishalong list! And just in time since the link up will close tonight!


My Drunkards Path quilt is finally finished, thanks to the support and encouragement of the Finishalong community and my Instagram friends.

I started this quilt cutting out the pieces while on holiday last July. I used the 3 1/2" Drunkard's Path templates from Pappersaxten which were ideal to cut up a charm pack. The templates are for a Drunkard's Path version where the curve ends up in the corners of the block. The template set have extra allowances so that it is easy to sew the curves together, and the set comes with an extra trimming template for accurate blocks. Perfect!

When all blocks were assembled and trimmed I tested a few layouts:



With help from some feedback on Instagram I decided on the last version and sewed it together.


Then auditioning border fabrics,


sewing the top together,


and auditioning quilting threads:


In the end I used many different threads in different areas.
I machine quilted this one, emphasising the shapes I associate with retro flowers. 


Not being able to find a suitable binding fabric in my stash, I decided to turn in the edges of the quilt, and quilted the last border areas after finishing the edges.

Finally today I was able to convince my youngest to hold up the quilt for some decent photographs. Pfft!

Linking up with the Finishalong at Archie the Wonder Dog.

And if you want to be encouraged to finish your WIPs (quilty or otherwise), do join us for the 2017 Finish-a-long at Rhonda's Ramblings and other hosts...
Sandra

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

It turned out splendidly! I like the layout that you chose.

Rhonda the Rambler said...

This quilt is gorgeous!! I love it!! Thank you for sharing and for participating in the 2016 FAL. See you at the 2017 FAL! You are doing amazing already!!! Thank you for all your hard work on our social media!!